As an author, we are always trying to find new and inventive ways to market and promote our stories. Sales are constantly in the back of our mind. Gaining new readers, keeping people buying, bringing in revenue – that’s where we are all day every day. A Facebook Takeover Event is a great way to gain new readers, satisfy your fans curiosity, and keep your readers interested in your books.
What Is a Facebook Takeover
A Facebook Takeover is when you take over someone else’s Facebook for a period of time. You usually pick a day and time during the event, and then posts are made about you and your book. You market yourself, your books, your new release, and promote your overall brand. Games are played, give-a-ways are held, and everyone attending the event participates. When done well, it is great fun and a wonderful way to market yourself.
10 Ways to Make a Facebook Takeover Work for You
Marketing and promotions take up valuable writing time. It is overwhelming to come up with new material and ways to stay on top of it all. Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Goodreads… Promoting yourself and marketing your books is a gut-churning headache. Facebook Takeovers are easier than they sound. You can make a Facebook Takeover work for you with little effort on your part. At least the ones I host.
- Tell everyone about the event. Invite everyone on all of your social media. Put it in your newsletter and give people the link.
- Start announcing the event about two weeks before it starts. Post a couple of times a day to all of your social media. Be sure to include the link to the event.
- Participate during your time slot. This is huge. You get more for your bang if your fans see you liking their posts and answering their questions.
- Make sure all of your posts have a picture. Studies show that more people engage if there is a picture.
- Ask your fans questions. Engaging them by asking questions brings more traffic.
- If the person hosting the takeover seems unorganized and haphazard, they probably are. You want to be in a takeover event that is well organized and planned in advance.
- Go to a few events and see how good ones are done, and how the bad ones go down in flames.
- If you’re having fun, the readers will have fun. Use positive language, thank people, and smile.
- Have everything organized and ready to just copy/paste when it’s your turn (if the host doesn’t do this for you). I do all of this for you.
- Be a person, not a product. Yes, you are trying to sell your books, but if you post nothing but “buy my stuff” ads, you will get lost in all the interesting stuff the other authors are doing.
Some Rules to Remember
You are on a Facebook event that belongs to someone. This real person could be held accountable for the bad behavior of the authors they are hosting. Facebook could shut down the whole event if it gets reported. Some things to keep in mind while you attend the event.
- Do not post questionable pictures or content. Keep it R rated.
- Be respectful.
- If a problem arises, contact the person hosting the event privately.
- When you post anything about give-a-way contests, you MUST add this disclaimer: This giveaway is not endorsed by or affiliated with Facebook.
With a Facebook Takeover, you get the advantage of reaching thousands of potential new readers. All of the authors participating in the takeover with you invite everyone they know. The person hosting the takeover invites everyone they know, and so on and so on. The ramifications of participating in one has the capability of increasing your sales, bringing you new fans, making your existing fans more dedicated, and slinging you into the big wide world of the internet.
What My Facebook Takeovers Offer
I have attended several takeovers. Some were great, and some were a hot mess. In most cases, the author is responsible for posting, and they must be at the event to take part. Not when I do a Facebook Takeover. You get a great bang for your buck.
- I get all the posts together, put them in the order of how they will appear, and I do all the posting to the event. Authors are encouraged to post whatever they want as well as what I post.
- Once you fill out your form, you sit back and enjoy the event.
- You don’t have to worry about other authors stepping on your time.
- I do a two-week advertising blitz before the event starts.
- I give you pre-made ads you can use on your social media to promote the event.
- Posts are set up for every 15 minutes.
- You get my full participation. I play the games, I answer questions, and I host you on Twitter as well.
With me, all you have to do is fill out the form and show up for some of your slotted time. What are you waiting for? Give a Facebook Takeover with me a try.